Today we’re sharing the visual progress of Top Run – how the game’s appearance have changed from the very first try back in June all the way to the latest build we have.
Back then it wasn’t Top Run. Even in the slightest. We were trying to create a simplest endless runner possible and this is what we had somewhere in the middle of it. Nothing, to be honest.
This was the moment when we decided we want it to be an 80’s game. We’ve changed some colors and felt that we have to start from scratch now. So we did.
The very first build of Top Run. The guy just ran there, couldn’t even jump. It was a start though! How do you like these 80s houses, by the way?
It still wasn’t really a game here (even though the guy could actually jump now), but we were starting to understand in which direction we wanted to move.
We’ve skipped a few months because we didn’t have time to work on Top Run, but we were back in the game! We’ve added Buddy (he wasn’t called Buddy at that point, but he had a hoverboard) and some enemies. They were all just walking around, you couldn’t shoot, but it was beginning to look like something.
Finally, enemies worked like they were intended to (you can see Hack right here), you could jump, you could shoot, even the menus were more or less good. Obviously there were no animations yet. You may also notice that we didn’t go for the synthwave look back then.
This was our third Buddy (and a final one!). Around that time we realized that you could basically run forever on the ground level. We fixed it by adding a new running enemy. We didn’t know how they would look like, so we just threw an old Buddy skin there. The buildings here are the actual buildings we use now, even though their looks changes 12 more times.
We tried to make it look like 80s, but didn’t know how. At this point we needed to explain in which era the game was set in. Then it striked us: there is a look that always reminds of the 80s, that we all love and adore. And we switched to a synthwave-ish purple colors.
We’ve tried a lot of things before we got to this look. We’ve even tried post-processing, but turned out phones are not ready for it yet. It took us quite some time to get that post-processed look without actual post-processing. This is what we ended up with and we’re happy about it!
This is our current build. We’ve changed thousands of things between this and the previous one, but you can’t really see it. The look was almost finalized back in December. Now, a thousand more of little invisible changes awaits!